in St. Louis, Missouri. Began painting in Barbizon style. First
exhibited in 1887. 1890’s, painted lyrical and Tonal cityscapes
and landscapes. 1894, painted a mural depicting birth of St. Louis for
Planters Hotel. One of his most well-known painting was the triptych, “A
View of Saint Louis,” which depicted the Eads Bridge. In 1899,
with encouragement from William Merritt Chase, he moved to New York City.
He had a studio there and was associated with Ash Can School. He painted
Tonal urban scenes, especially after the rain because of the blurred
effects. One of his masterworks was “The Plaza after Rain,” which
was purchased by the museum of St. Louis. He taught at Mechanics Institute
of New York. 1917, he moved to Massachusetts and taught there as well.
The Lights in the Window, oil on canvas,
36"x21", 41"x37" framed, s.l.l. "Paul
Cornoyer," inscription verso, "This picture is the property
of Mrs. Maripat Boginis (signed) Mrs. Mary Jackson," and titled
in pencil on stretcher.
Studied: School of Fine Arts, 1881; with Jules Lefebvre,
Benjamin Constant, and Louis Blanc at Academie Julien, Paris, 1889.
Exhibited: Paris AAA, 1892 (pirze); St. Louis Assoc. P.&A., 1895 (gold); S.C., 1905 (prize), 1906 (prize), 1908 (prize); Philadelphia A.C., 1917.
Member: Associate Member of N.A.D., 1909; S.C., 1902; Allied A.A.; N.A.C.
In the collection of: Brooklyn Institute Museum; Yale University Art Gallery; High Museum of Art; Smith College Museum of Art; The Saint Louis Art Museum; The Hickory Museum; Joslyn Art Museum; The Newark Museum; and Butler Institute of American Art.